The Pixel 8 Pro has been torn down by the repair experts at iFixit, revealing the secrets within Google's latest flagship smartphone. The 6.7″ OLED 120Hz display is protected by Gorilla Glass Victus 2 and has an under-display fingerprint sensor. It is powered by the Google Tensor G3 chipset and packs 12GB RAM with up to 1TB of storage. The triple rear camera system includes a 50MP main, 48MP telephoto with 5x optical zoom, and 48MP ultrawide lens. The phone runs Android 14 and features a 5050mAh battery with 30W wired and 23W wireless charging.
Enhanced Cooling System
- The Pixel 8 Pro has a significantly larger graphite cooling pad compared to last year's model, now covering 60% of the battery. This should help manage heat from the Tensor G3 chipset.
Clean Internal Branding
- In contrast to the cluttered interiors of earlier models, the Pixel 8 Pro's battery is now cleanly branded “Google”. This follows Apple's trend of stylish internal branding.
Innovative but Tricky Temperature Sensor
- The phone's exclusive under-display temperature sensor was revealed after removing the camera system. It consists simply of four circular sensors, allowing temperature detection.
Impressive Camera Hardware
- The rear camera system houses a 50MP main camera, 48MP ultrawide, and 48MP 5x optical telescopic lens. The telephoto lens housing is nearly twice the size of the iPhone 15 Pro's.
Google Pixel 8 Pro Specifications
Google Pixel 8 Pro Dual-SIM 256GB ROM + 12GB RAM (Only GSM No CDMA) Factory Unlocked 5G Smartphone (Porcelain) - International Version
|Dimensions||162.6 x 76.5 x 8.8mm|
|Build||Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus 2), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus 2), aluminum frame|
|SIM||Nano-SIM and eSIM|
|IP Rating||IP68 dust/water resistant|
|Display||6.7″ OLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1600 nits (HBM), 2400 nits (peak)|
|Resolution||1344 x 2992 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~489 ppi density)|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2|
|Operating System||Android 14|
|Chipset||Google Tensor G3 (4 nm)|
|CPU||Nona-core (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-X3 & 4×2.45 GHz Cortex-A715 & 4×2.15 GHz Cortex-A510)|
|Memory||128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM, 1TB 12GB RAM, UFS 3.1|
|Main Camera||Triple 50 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 48 MP, f/2.8, 113mm (telephoto), 5x optical zoom, 48 MP, f/2.0, 126 ̊ (ultrawide)|
|Selfie Camera||10.5 MP, f/2.2, 20mm (ultrawide)|
|Battery||Li-Ion 5050 mAh, non-removable|
|Charging||30W wired, PD3.0, PPS, 50% in 30 min (advertised), 23W wireless|
|Colours||Obsidian, Porcelain, Bay|
Long-Term Repairability Outlook is Promising
The iFixit teardown video provides a closer look at the disassembly process. It shows how they access the phone through the glued-down display using picks and heat. Key findings highlighted include the large graphite cooling pad, haptic feedback system, tricky battery adhesive, front/rear cameras, new temperature sensor, and repairability analysis. iFixit praises Google's 7-year security update commitment as a major win for longevity.
The teardown revealed several positive signs regarding long-term repairability:
- Google promises 7 years of Android updates, exceeding Apple and Samsung.
- No software locks on components, unlike some iPhone parts.
- Repair manuals and non-proprietary parts will also help longevity.
iFixit praised Google's commitment to repairability while noting easier battery removal would be ideal. But the Pixel 8 Pro sets a positive example for making devices last longer.
- Enhanced cooling, branding, and sensors show thoughtful design
- Battery adhesive remains an issue during repair
- Software support for 7 years is a major advantage
- The lack of component locks also helps repairability
The Pixel 8 Pro's interior reveals both smart engineering choices and room for improvement. But Google's long-term software support sets a strong example for sustainable smartphone design.
For those seeking a flagship Android phone built to last, the Pixel 8 Pro presents a compelling option. With Google's industry-leading software support timeline and repairability advantages, buyers can invest confidently in this thoughtfully-engineered device. Preorder the long-lasting Pixel 8 Pro today.